allergene annotation

Jane Lomax jane at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Mar 14 06:45:08 PST 2006

I concede that the argument doesn't hold up as well for allergens as it
does for pathogenic organisms.

But aren't you making a value judgement about what constitutes a 'normal'
interaction? How do we know that the fact that the plant protein induces a
hypersensitive response in another organism doesn't confer some advantage
to the plant? Perhaps hay-fever promotes the spreading of pollen?!

jane