[SO-devel] Re: annotating to pseudogenes

Judith Blake jblake at informatics.jax.org
Tue Mar 14 07:56:06 PST 2006

I think that what we have here is the fact that the same object can be
classified in different ways.  In regards to structural yet not
functional similarity to a functional gene, we classify something as a
'pseudogene'.  This seems to be a instance of a genome feature that has
a function in a different way that that associated with its homolog.

So in one classification/definition it is a 'gene' [functional genome
feature].  In another, it's a pseudogene [see definition below].

I would think perhaps that when a feature classified as a pseudogene is
determined to have a function, it would be reclassified......

Judy