tRNA curation question

Harold Drabkin hjd at informatics.jax.org
Tue Mar 14 11:14:23 PST 2006

1. The tRNA does not have the "aminoacyl-tRNA ligase activity ". What
amino acid it accepts will depend on what sequence the tRNA has,
especially in it's anticodon, to see which codon it would decode
(although even THAT is not 100% in some genomes).

I think at the moment, there is really only one function term that the
tRNA has: GO:0030533.

2. Process
A tRNA is not involved in tRNA aminoacylation. It is the substrate of
the process. . The aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase is involved in that process.
However, it is involved in translation (*GO:0043037*); most likely
elongation, unless it's an initiator methionine tRNA, in which case it
would be involved in elongation;

3. component: cytoplasm or mitochondrion or chloroplast. The latter two
DO encode some of their own tRNA. But telling by the sequence may be
difficult. They are NOT a component of the ribosome or peptidyl
transferase.

Harold