neural crest cell maturation vs. specific cell type differentiation

Melissa Haendel mhaendel at uoneuro.uoregon.edu
Wed Mar 15 12:25:41 PST 2006

Hi, I wanted to send this set of questions separately than my previous
email as I think they will require discussion.

I need a term that represents the final stages of neural crest cell
differentiation into their derivatives.  I could annotate to pigment
cell differentiation, etc, but it would be better to say that all
derivatives don't begin their differentiation.  Once neural crest cells
begin to differentiate into their derivatives, they are no longer called
neural crest cells.  So, would the term "neural crest cell maturation'
with the following definition work?  "The process leading to the
attainment of the full functional capacity of a neural crest cell
derivative. This process is independent of morphogenetic change."  I
have added the word derivative, but I don't know if this will fly.
Thought I would email the listserve for advice before making a request.

How have any of you dealt with differentiation into derivative cell
types with different names in the past?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks, Melissa Haendel
--