neural crest cell maturation vs. specific cell type differentiation

David Hill dph at informatics.jax.org
Thu Mar 16 12:20:22 PST 2006

In general derivatives are considered as separate cell types. So, when a
neural crest cell migrates to where it is going and it is receiving
signals about what it is going to become, it is being committed to
become another cell type. This process, as GO defines it, is part of the
differentiation of that other cell type, not part of the maturation of
the neural crest cell. Although the line between when one cell begins
and another ends is fuzzy, if we start to try to represent cell lineages
in the process ontology, we run into huge issues. The most obvious ones
are things like "Is the differentiation of a pigment cell part of the
development of a neural crest cell because it happens to the neural
crest cell,  or is the development of a neural crest cell part of the
differentiation of a pigment cell because it needs to happen for the
pigment cell to differentiate. For this reason, we keep the lineage
relationships out of the ontology. The lineage relationships are
captured in the cell type ontology. At some point, we can use the two
ontologies to derive both the processes and the lineages. So, for
example, if a pigement cell develops only from a neural crest cell in
the cell ontology, then we can define the process of pigment cell fate
commitment as the process by which a neural crest cell becomes committed
to form a pigment cell.

David

--
David P. Hill, Ph.D.