neural crest cell maturation vs. specific cell type differentiation

David Hill dph at informatics.jax.org
Thu Mar 16 12:45:44 PST 2006

The maturation term was instantiated for cases where looking at a cell
morphologically it doesn't look like it is doing anything, but it is in
fact synthesizing gene products to make it totally functional. One
example of this (sorry it is not neural crest) is the epithelial cells
of the intestinal crypts. They are born at the bottom of the crypts as
columnar epithelial cells, the process making them conform to this shape
would be their morphogenesis. As they mature, they don't change shape,
but they move up along the villus due to the death of the cells at the
tip and the birth of new cells at the bottom. While they are moving up,
they are synthesizing the gene products that make them functional
absorbative cells. This would be part of their maturation. Eventually
they apoptose. This would also be part of their maturation. The idea was
to capture the processes that were involved in a cell becoming "an
adult" that weren't directly related to the changes in shape of the
cell. Another example would be a neuron that has fully extended its
axons and dendrites and then receives signals about what kind of
receptors and neurotransmitters it is going to make. This would be
maturation because it doesn't have anything to do with creating the
shape of the cell.

Does this make sense?

David

--