'with' field contents for IPI annotations

Evelyn Camon camon at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Mar 1 03:19:05 PST 2006

Hi,

I had a discussion last August with GO tops
about the identifiers in with 'with' field for IPI and IGI codes.

For IGI the decision was that when GOA integrates IGI data we should NOT
convert the identifiers to protein ids...as the inference is from
genetic data and it would be an inference too far to say that this
interaction is at the level of the interacting gene's protein (it could
well be at the RNA level). We integrate these as they come..but we do
have the pipe issue still to resolve internally.

For IPI the decision at the time was that it was ok to convert
identifiers provided to UniProt protein ids..but now the suggestion
appears to be that we should not convert identifiers here too....????

At the moment all IPI data generated directly by UniProt/GOA staff will
have a 'with' column filled in. Talking with GOA staff just now we quite
liked that restriction. If the exact protein is unknown a general term
is requested or used such as 'actin binding' or
the annotation added as IDA (no with) instead of IPI...which admittedly
was a bit of a fudge or the anotation was left out and another paper
with better evidence sought.

At the moment I believe we are only integrating IPI data which has
UniProt Ids e.g MGI. We know we need to allow other identifiers to
appear but if a protein id can be put in the 'with' for IPI data then
please please provide it..otherwise we have on our hands an identifier
nightmare at this end having to integrate from so many different sources.

cheers
Evelyn

--
Evelyn Camon