annotating to pseudogenes

Rama Balakrishnan rama at genome.Stanford.EDU
Tue Mar 14 17:16:54 PST 2006

Sue, Suzi, All,

I have been meaning to pipe in earlier but had to deal with a sick
child. any way..

I was going to raise the same question Sue raised in her email about
determining functionality.
It is non trivial to determine if a gene is functional or not. We
(SGD) have been debating this issue for a long time now.
This is one of the main reasons why we have left the unknown
annotations.

So, I would like to know how do other groups decide what is a
pseudogene. Do you use some in house analyses to determine if a
sequence is a pseudogene or do you rely on published literature to
say that a sequence is a pseudogene based on Blah et al?

Thanks,

Rama