[Chicken-genome] Re: chicken GO proposal

Larry Cogburn cogburn at udel.edu
Sat Mar 25 16:23:42 PST 2006

Dear Dave:

            Your proposal for building a Chicken Gene Ontology is indeed
very timely and would greatly enhance our transcriptional profiling
studies. Although we have assembled more than 500,000 EST and mRNA
sequences into a chicken gene index composed of 40,850 high-fidelity
contigs (in silico cDNAs), our chicken EST database and Del-Mar 14K
Chicken Integrated Systems Microarray both suffer from the lack of GO
annotation.
            Investigators using chicken microarray platforms (including
the new Affymetrix Chicken Genome Chip) would benefit immensely from
functional annotation of spotted probes with GO terms.  The availability
of a comprehensive Chicken Gene Ontology database would boost the
fledgling field of functional genomics in this new model organism. I
fully support your very worthy proposal to build a Chicken Gene Ontology
and look forward to using this valuable resource in the near future!

Best regards,
Larry

      /   Larry A. Cogburn, Ph.D.
  /=)  Professor