Clarrification NIH proposal for chicken genome annotation

Shane Burgess burgess at cvm.msstate.edu
Mon Mar 27 10:22:11 PST 2006

Question from: "Gane Ka-Shu Wong" <gksw at u.washington.edu> on Monday, March
27, 2006 at 11:21 AM +0000 wrote:
>competition is always good, and i support the agbase efforts to annotate
>the chicken genome. however, will there be any efforts to coordinate with
>the BBSRC project? it would be very confusing to the community if they
>disagreed.

Answer.

Thank you for raising the issue. I had certainly hoped that my email did
not suggest direct competition.

To clarify,however, these two proposals are NOT competitive in any way.
They are complimentary. We are following the example of the entire GO
community, which is extremely collaborative and inclusive. The two
proposals are working together to eventually achieve the same end for the
good of the community.

The chicken GO annotation task in front of us all is enormous and Roslyn,
GOA and ourselves at AgBase have been communicating for many months now
about how together we can best get this (perhaps endless) task done in the
most efficient way possible. These projects will be co-ordinated and we
have documented how we plan to do this. Roslyn and GOA have provided us
with letters of support for out NIH proposal just as we, of course, have
provided a letter of support for the BBSRC proposal. AgBase was also
involved in helping to put Roslyn and GOA get together on this in the
first place.

Regards
Shane

Shane C Burgess BVSc(Dist.), MRCVS., PhD.
Department of Basic Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
Mississippi State University
Box 6100
MS 39762-6100
USA
Tel:  (+ 1) 662 325 1239
Fax:  (+ 1) 662 325 1031
Email:   burgess at cvm.msstate.edu

Important: Emails that you send may not get to my inbox. Worse, you will
NOT receive a failure notification. I endeavor to answer all emails within
72 hours. If you do not receive a reply, please assume that I never got
your email and re-send it.