[Chicken-genome] Re: chicken GO proposal

david clayton dclayton at life.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 27 10:50:57 PST 2006

Dear Dave,

I'm very happy to offer my enthusiastic endorsement of the proposal
to move forward with a Chicken Gene Ontology project.  As you know,
we in the songbird research community are making very active use of
chicken gene annotation to inform songbird genomics. (Indeed, the
existence of an annotated chicken genome as a reference point was a
key factor in the recent decision by NIH to obtain a whole genome
sequence for a songbird, the zebra finch,  as the second sequenced
avian).

In the long run, I anticipate the tide will flow both directions:
songbird genomics is especially focused on neurobiology, and
improving the depth and quality of annotation for brain-related genes
is important for all of GO (and not just chicken GO).

I look forward to your progress with keen interest!

david

David F. Clayton, Ph.D.
University of Illinois
Professor of Cell & Developmental Biology, Neuroscience, and
Bioengineering
Member, Beckman Institute and Institute for Genomic Biology
Associate Director, School of Molecular & Cellular Biology
phone:  217-244-3668
fax: 503-213-6611
mail: 601 S. Goodwin, B107 CLSL, Urbana IL 61801
email: dclayton at uiuc.edu

Co-founder, Songbird Genome Organization: http://songbirdgenome.org/
Director, Songbird Neurogenomics Initiative:  http://
titan.biotec.uiuc.edu/songbird/