Valerie Wood val at
Tue Apr 24 05:07:26 PDT 2007

I wonder if anyone has used any of the substrate terms to annotate these
gene products to 'transporter activity' or its children though?. If so,
we may not be able to move them directly under "transmembrane
transporter activity"

We had an idea that we would create some sort of 'transport chaperone'
under the binding terms which could have the relevent synonyms for

I think we were possible even going to have

transporter activity
--transmembrane transorter acrtivity
--transport chaperone (wording and def to be discussed)

protein binding
--transport chaperone

But, as there is no functional relationship between these it probably
isn't necessary (or correct) to have the
'transporter activity' parentage at all?

One of the probelms we have is that the def of 'transporter activity' is
quite vague and it doesn't restrict annotations to 'transmembrane

Enables the directed movement of substances (such as macromolecules,
small molecules, ions) into, out of, within or between cells.

It has been used to annotate various other things like  trafficking
molecules (SNAP receptors, SNAREs),  and various other things. If people
are agreed that it should never be used for these we could approach this
slightly differently.

Peter, perhaps you could join the conf call when we deal with this high
level part?

Peter D'Eustachio wrote:

> Hi Jen
> Yes - that's how we use them. When we want to talk about the behavior
> of albumin, we would use a "binding" term.
> Peter
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "J Clark" <jclark at>

Valerie Wood			 Tel: 01223 496909
S. pombe Genome Project		 Fax: 01223 494919
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute	 email: val at
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1HH