outreach in the grant

J Clark jclark at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Mar 19 04:35:24 PDT 2007

Hi Rama,

> Thanks for sending this part of the grant. It was useful. As you
> mentioned the most important take home message is provide good
> documentation on methods and point users to the right tools. The section
> titled Metrics also highlights the fact that most new groups are going
> to be doing IEAs. So, when we contact new groups we should present a
> flow chart to them on how to proceed, what tools to use etc.

Yes I think that this is the right bit to take on board. Documentation
of methods seems to be very much our thing right now. I asked about the
tools/IEA part before. Mike says that part of the plan for the near
future is to run an annotation meeting entirely devoted to discussion of
the different ways to make IEA annotations. Apparently this is still
very much an open discussion and not one that the outreach workking
group are meant to be able to solve alone. Therefore our job for now is
to make a very basic flowchart and perhaps try to fill in more about
manual annotation. Then later the results of the IEA annotation meeting
will result in the creation of much better IEA guidelines. Apparently we
haven't to worry too much about the IEA meeting organization for now as
Mike is going to figure out what to do about that a bit further down the
line.

Thanks,

Jen