GO term for innervation

Susan Tweedie sart2 at gen.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 29 06:26:39 PDT 2007

We are struggling to decide if the GO term 'axonogenesis' is exactly
equivalent to 'innervation' (as in the process involving nerve
projection and connection with a target - and as used in the mammalian
phenotype term 'abnormal innervation' MP:0002184). Axonogenesis has the
approriate child terms of  'axon guidance' and 'axon target recogintion'
but I'm put off by the word 'towards' in the definition:

Generation of a long process of a neuron, that carries efferent
(outgoing) action potentials from the cell body towards target cells.

If it is the same thing, then I'll make an sf item to add 'innervation'
as an exact synonym.

Thanks,

Susan (and George)