GO database

Suzanna Lewis suzi at bdgp.lbl.gov
Wed Aug 15 18:47:44 PDT 2001

Hello Bo and Chris,

I wish I could have heard your talk Bo because Chris doesn't give
praise lightly. Hopefully next time.

The earliest that Chris and I will both be in the same place at the
same time is August 29-30. In the meantime (once he is back) Chris can
at least get web pages updated so that the date on the page reflects
the date of the dump.

Right now there are 3 formats that you can download the data in. For
someone like you I can understand that what you would want is the
one that can go right into your copy of the database.

1. is the original indented file. i don't recommend this one because
   it hasn't been checked for errors. Like Chris said, now that
   everyone is using go-edit it is more reliable, but it never hurts
   to double check (since we can't guarantee that it passed through
   go-edit and thus has no syntax errors). Chris can provide the
   details of the cron job that loads this (frequency and success rate)

2. the tab delimited database dump. best for those using the database.
   it still needs to have a cron job to turn the crank and update it

3. the xml - i think i'll read some more e-mail before i say anything
   here, although my recollection is that this is currently automatically
   (cron) pulled from the database after the indented-file (#1) is
   loaded.

#2 and #3 include definitions too which #1 doesn't

I agree that the web pages could make all of this more obvious. I'm
adding that onto the to-do list.

I liked to discuss how to do versioning with Chris first and then send
something out at the end of the month to discuss our options.

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org