suggestions requested for plant trait ontology

Pankaj Jaiswal pj37 at cornell.edu
Tue Aug 21 10:50:30 PDT 2001

Dear Michael

Thanks for the suggestions. We are also worried about the scoring system, since
there is a generic way of evaluation by scoring from 0-9, however all the 10
scores (0-9), are not scored for each disease (important thing  here is to note
that traits will cover not only the damage by pathogens, but will also include
response to environmental stress and plant's own characteristics, eg.
morphology/anatomy/growth and again each of these sub-sub instances has a score
0-9 for evaluation). some may have all 10 other only 1,3,5,7,9 or else only
1,5,9 and so on. From my options the no. 2 seems fine, but that never represents
the usage of the CV/O with respect to resistance or susceptibility. DO you think
that for each disease i can have the susceptibility and resistance nodes and
their definitions will suggest the respective infectivity score, if one wants to
evaluate.

-pankaj

"Michael Ashburner (Genetics)" wrote:

> Pankaj
>
> I do not like option 1 at all (over and above the fact that each term
> must be lexically unique, it suffers from mixing chalk (the diseases)
> and cheese (the scoring system).  It is a very good principle that
> within a DAG all terms should belong to the same "semantic family"
> - if I may create a phrase.  So, option 2 it should be.  I thought of
> creating a separate "score" DAG but think that would be too cumbersome -
> especially as the scores are disease specific.
>
> Michael

Pankaj Jaiswal, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Associate
Dept. of plant Breeding
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY-14853, USA

Tel:+1-607-255-3103 / Fax:+1-607-255-6683
E mail: pj37 at cornell.edu
http://www.gramene.org   http://ars-genome.cornell.edu/rice
Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org