suggestions requested for plant trait ontology

Lincoln Stein lstein at cshl.org
Sat Aug 25 13:06:43 PDT 2001

I also strongly support option 2.  However, I think a mini-ontology
for scores would be useful.  The type of ontology I'm thinking of
would describe whether the score is boolean, discrete or continuously
varying, and what its range is.  There's been quite some work with
abstract scoring systems as part of the W3C PICs project.

Lincoln

Michael Ashburner (Genetics) writes:

 > Pankaj
 >
 > I do not like option 1 at all (over and above the fact that each term
 > must be lexically unique, it suffers from mixing chalk (the diseases)
 > and cheese (the scoring system).  It is a very good principle that
 > within a DAG all terms should belong to the same "semantic family"
 > - if I may create a phrase.  So, option 2 it should be.  I thought of
 > creating a separate "score" DAG but think that would be too cumbersome -
 > especially as the scores are disease specific.
 >

 > Michael

lstein at cshl.org			                  Cold Spring Harbor, NY

NOW HIRING BIOINFORMATICS POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS AND PROGRAMMERS.
PLEASE WRITE FOR DETAILS.
Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org