suggestions requested for plant trait ontology

Pankaj Jaiswal pj37 at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 30 11:51:12 PDT 2001

I am trying to understand what you meant, by going through
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-PICS-services

I guess that's what you meant.

-Pankaj

Lincoln Stein wrote:

> I also strongly support option 2.  However, I think a mini-ontology
> for scores would be useful.  The type of ontology I'm thinking of
> would describe whether the score is boolean, discrete or continuously
> varying, and what its range is.  There's been quite some work with
> abstract scoring systems as part of the W3C PICs project.
>
> Lincoln
>
> Michael Ashburner (Genetics) writes:
>  >
>  > Pankaj
>  >
>  > I do not like option 1 at all (over and above the fact that each term
>  > must be lexically unique, it suffers from mixing chalk (the diseases)
>  > and cheese (the scoring system).  It is a very good principle that
>  > within a DAG all terms should belong to the same "semantic family"
>  > - if I may create a phrase.  So, option 2 it should be.  I thought of
>  > creating a separate "score" DAG but think that would be too cumbersome -
>  > especially as the scores are disease specific.
>  >
>  >
>  > Michael

> Lincoln D. Stein                           Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
> lstein at cshl.org                                   Cold Spring Harbor, NY
>
> NOW HIRING BIOINFORMATICS POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS AND PROGRAMMERS.
> PLEASE WRITE FOR DETAILS.

Pankaj Jaiswal, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Associate
Dept. of plant Breeding
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY-14853, USA

Tel:+1-607-255-3103 / Fax:+1-607-255-6683
E mail: pj37 at cornell.edu
http://www.gramene.org   http://ars-genome.cornell.edu/rice
Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org