Gene attributes that don't fit into process, component and function ontologies?

Judy Blake jblake at informatics.jax.org
Thu Feb 15 12:27:00 PST 2001

Dear Fritz,

This lies outside the current scope of the GO effort as we are
focused on terms to annotate knowledge of (functional) gene products.
While an ontology of these attributes of genomic structure and
transcript characteristics would be useful, and could protentially be
another structured vocabulary supported by this project, we have our
hands full developing the ontologies are are currently committed to.

I hadn't thought of organizing genic features as a structured
vocabulary before, and will think on that...so thanks for the thought.

Judy

>Hi Go Friends,
>
>I'm wondering if there been any effort towards extending the present
>gene ontology to capture gene attributes that don't fall into
>process, component, or function?
>
>For instance:
>%Contains an intron
>  %Alternatively spliced
>%Known to be silenced
>  %Is silenced in a regulated fashion
>%Has unusual codon usage
>  %Has codon usage resembling E.coli
>%Transcript is not poly-adenylated.
>%Post-translationally modified
>  %N-terminally acetylated
>  %myristoylated
>
>Or does this fall outside of the scope of the GO Consortium?
>
>Thanks!
>Fritz Roth

>Frederick P. Roth, Assistant Professor
>Harvard Medical School
>Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology
>240 Longwood Avenue, C-212
>Boston, MA 02115
>(617) 432-6224  phone
>(617) 738-0516  FAX
>froth at hms.harvard.edu
>http://sbweb.med.harvard.edu/~bcmp/html/faculty/roth.shtml

Judith A. Blake, Ph.D.
Mouse Genome Informatics           	jblake at informatics.jax.org
The Jackson Laboratory                      	1-207-288-6248 (voice)
600 Main Street                                 	1-207-288-6131 (FAX)
Bar Harbor, Maine 04609-1500

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at genome.stanford.edu
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at genome.stanford.edu