prokaryotic GO

Natalie Maltsev maltsev at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 29 20:37:35 PST 2001

Dear GO-friends,

	My interests and expertise for the last 7 years mostly
concentrated in the area metabolism of prokaryotes. I've been
developing a General Functional overview for the WIT2
(http://wit.mcs.anl.gov/WIT2) (and before that PUMA and WIT) projects. We
had a very pleasant and productive collaboration with Michael Ashburner on
development of the controlled dictionaries. To my delight this
collaboration starts to get active again and I plan to be an
active prokaryotic GOfriend

I'm in a process of complete revision of the Representation of functional
processes in WIT. As the first step I've reorginized representation of the
Energy metabolism.  The reasoning behind this reorganization  is:

1. To simplify  connection of the sequence data <-> metabolic data <->
phenotypic data

2. To reflect metabolic diversity

Please look at the preliminary version of the table at:
http://selkov.mcs.anl.gov/WIT2/Natalia/MODULES/Energy/HTML/table_ann.html

This table can be also represented in a tree-like form and further
developed down the nodes (e.g. Fermentation: lactate ferm, alcohol
ferm, etc)...

I will very much appreciate your comments, suggestions and additions

   Regards,

	Natalia Maltsev

Natalia Maltsev
Computational Biology Group