first proposed new GO terms from Wormbase

Paul Gordon gordonp at niji.imb.nrc.ca
Thu Jul 26 05:21:09 PDT 2001

> 7. "moulting (sensu Nematoda)"
>
> [N.B. is the British spelling "moulting" supposed to still be
>     in use?  Or should it be "molting" by now?]
>
> Definition: Periodically shedding part or all of a nematode cuticle,
>                 which is then replaced by a new cuticle.
>
> Location:
>
>     A child-subset term of
>
>     GOid:       0007582
>     GO_def:     physiological processes
>     Definition: see above.
>
> This would be an exact parallel to:
>
>     GOid:       0007591
>     GO_def:     moulting (sensu Insecta)
>                 [n.b.: British spelling? still in use?]

Although I cringe slightly at using the u-less spellings of words
("enamor" just doesn't look right to me), from a computational point of
view it would probably be best to use the u-less versions.  It is much
easier to remove the u when someone searches for a word with "ou" and
nothing is found (don't want to exclude flour), rather than trying to add
a 'u' to any word with an 'o' in it (loucoumoutioun and variants?).

My CDN$0.02 worth...

Paul Gordon                                     Paul.Gordon at nrc.ca
Genomic Technologies				http://maggie.cbr.nrc.ca
Institute for Marine Biosciences