first proposed new GO terms from Wormbase

Erich Schwarz emsch at its.caltech.edu
Mon Jul 30 12:37:03 PDT 2001

Midori,

    Thanks for your comments.  As you can tell, I really have
*started* working on this, so lots of things aren't obvious; I
really appreciate having somebody like yourself  go over this and
point out corrections.

    The definitions in some cases were taken from textbooks, in some
cases were paraphrased from textbooks, and in some cases were just
made up on the spot.  I didn't know that references were needed, and
am also not sure what to do about a definition that was inspired by
a textbook but didn't in fact follow the textbook verbatim.  If it's
OK to cite two sources I can cite the dictionary and also cite
WB:EMS.

    Mainly I did the definitions in order to try to be a good
"citizen" of GO.  I hope that if somebody else can come up with
better ones, somebody will.

    The main reason for having "fertility" is to try to create a
term that is as good as possible an antonym to the defect seen in
worms with Sterile phenotypes in RNAi.  To do this better (i.e.,
make it an actual function-like term) maybe I should instead propose
"establishment and maintenance of fertility".

    I think I understand the restriction on species-specific parent
terms.  After I have more comments from your end I can mull
over what to do about that.

--Erich Schwarz

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org