Question about XML-file structure

Anders Bresell andbr717 at student.liu.se
Fri Oct 5 03:21:07 PDT 2001

Hello

I am doing a project on using GO in a search engine and have a question
about
the data model in the XML-file.
I'd like to expand GO-terms found in the XML-file. (e.g. given the term
'anti-toxin' I'd like to retrieve all children of anti-toxin recursively.)
But as far as I can see, a term in the XML-file only incorporates
information about its parents, not its children. Is there any way to go in
the leaf-direction in the XML file?

I guess the different GO browsers have its origin from the flatfile. This is
due to the fact that one can keep track of the parents and children of the
term in mind, by the indentation? Or have I missed out some structural
information in the XML-file?

Thanks in advance
Anders Bresell