Quick GO - Problems finding terms

Jacob Koehler Jacob.Koehler at tu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 12 00:39:26 PDT 2001

Midori Harris schrieb:

> Hi Bosse,
>
> We will handle obsolete terms differently in the relational database (they
> will be tagged within the db), but in the meantime, we haven't changed
> anything about what we do with them.
>
> The second part of Tom's statement is an accurate description of what's
> done when we change the meaning of a term: the old term and ID become
> obsolete and a new ID is generated, even if the text string is unchanged.
> That is, a GO ID is connected to the definition rather than the text
> string.

just an idea that crossed my mind when i read this posting:
stability of GO IDs is for many applications very useful. thus when the
definition is improved, but still describes the same concept, it would
be nice if the concept could still have the same old ID, or that it is
possible to see at the ID that it is still the same concept.

this could be handled if GO IDs would be extended by some "versioning
extension", for example  GO:0004534
could become
GO:0004534-1
after a first revision and