Panned by Brenner

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Sat Apr 6 10:02:40 PST 2002

p-dyck at northwestern.edu wrote:

> The same thing happened last summer at ISMB (GO getting slammed)and GO has
> exploded
> in popularity since.

Proving that opinions about "correctness" and "usefulness" carry much less weight
than end-of-the-day productivity.

I agree with some of the other gofriends - it seems that the best thing to do in a
case like this is to provide a quiet, low-key response with examples of GO's
success... take it or leave it.  All he was really doing was name-calling, and you
can't get into a useful argument about that.  If he doesn't like the tool, then he
doesn't have to use it.

P.S.  though at the end of the day, as we build more advanced tools, he will likely
end up using GO without even knowing ... at which point we just smile quietly to
ourselves...   ;-)

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org