Note from an interloper

Jason E. Stewart jason at openinformatics.com
Tue Apr 9 10:41:03 PDT 2002

"Bill Andersen" <andersen at ontologyworks.com> writes:

> Folks, you should be careful about such blanket denunciation of
> anyone who dares direct any criticism at GO.  I've seen it before
> from some members of the GO community, and it's shameful.  As
> scientists, we should all welcome and learn from this criticism.  As
> real scientists (I'm just a computer scientist, which doesn't really
> count) you should embrace this principle even more closely.

I think the main issue that we object to is that someone with as much
brains, and as much clout as Brenner has shouldn't be 'shooting from
the hip', which is what his opinion piece does.

He wanted to put down GO and he did. If he wanted to be even-handed,
he could have discussed his piece with anyone on the project and they
could have cleared up some of his ignorance and mis-conceptions.

Diatribes are often pointless, and I think his piece would have been
more interesting if it had been less opinion and more substance.

jas.

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org