ProToGO - a new tool for evaluating the biological features of protein sets

Hagit Mor -Ulanovsky hagitmor at cs.huji.ac.il
Mon Dec 23 06:12:53 PST 2002

Dear GO friends,

The ProToGO is an online tool for evaluating biological features of protein sets.
It was presented in the GO users meeting, last September
(http://www.geneontology.org/doc/GO_Users_Hinxton2002.pdf, page 11).

You can view the ProToGO at :
http://www.protogo.cs.huji.ac.il/

The ProToGO uses the Goa at EBI and the Compugen Inc. annotations of SwissProt,
TrEMBL and proteins from the Genebank to the GO database.

The ProToGO is designed for simplicity of use. The input you submit is the
accession numbers of the protein set, from one of the above databases.
The output is a graphical view of the relevant sub-graph of GO, containing
those GO terms assigned to the query proteins and restricted by a user-defined threshold.
Another optional output are detailed html and text files that give the details of
the proteins that were assigned to each of the GO terms.

Among other purposes the ProToGO can be used to analyze the biological context of sets of
proteins that are in the same cluster. This cluster can come from gene expression
data, sequence or structure based clustering algorithms or other clustering methods.

We are currently working on publishing an application note describing the ProToGO.
An announcement will be published in our site.

For further information about the ProToGO please look at our Introduction
at: http://www.protonet.cs.huji.ac.il/ProToGO/Introduction.html

If you have any questions, suggestions or comments we would be happy to hear from you,
protogo at cs.huji.ac.il

Shany Ron and Hagit Ulanovsky

Biological Chemistry Dept.
The Alexander Silberman Life Sci. Institute
Edmond Safra campus
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
Phone:(+)972-2-6585433, Fax:(+)972-2-6586448
shany at pob.huji.ac.il
hagitmor at cs.huji.ac.il