dirigent proteins

Michael Ashburner (Genetics) ma11 at gen.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 4 09:06:06 PDT 2002

Pankaj

I think you have made my point !

There are two draft definitions for dirigent proteins:

my general one:

definition: The orientation of free radical substrates in such a way that
only a particular stereoisomer is synthesised by an enzyme. Best characterised
as a function during lignan biosynthesis.

& your specific one:

definition: Lacking catalytic active site, the protein in the presence of an
oxidase or one electron oxidant, effects stereoselective bimolecular phenoxy
radical coupling, thus becoming a part of holozyme. Best characterised as a
function during lignan biosynthesis.

Mine would cover any dirigent protein that is known or might be discovered;
yours only those dirigent proteins involved in bimolecular phenoxy
radical coupling.  Moreover, your definition is of the _protein_ and NOT
its _function_.

Michael

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org