Pollination GO:0009856

Vincent, Leszek Leszek at missouri.edu
Thu Jun 13 13:42:56 PDT 2002

Hi Pankaj & Leonore

Well, spotted Pankaj & I concur with both of you about the incorrect definition for this term & I support the suggestion of 'post-pollination' being a better parent for the subsequent children.

Pondering all the forms of pollination (biotic & abiotic) in the context of the definition for 'Biological Process' (broad biological goals, such as mitosis or purine metabolism, that are accomplished by ordered assemblies of molecular functions) I too would exclude all forms of pollination from the biol. process domain with the exception of cleistogamy. This is a gray area for me in that I think it can be argued that cleistogamy involves processes 'that are accomplished by ordered assemblies of molecular functions' within the plant's genome which achieves pollination. I'll have to ponder this some more & see where that goes. Oops, another example comes to mind: many members of the Asteraceae achieve self-pollination via the recurving of the style-branches such that they make contact with pollen-liberating stamens - this is probably due to an 'ordered assembly of molecular functions'. I suspect that we're going to need a closer look at this so that we don't exclude forms of pollination which are putatively associated with 'assemblies of molecular function - i.e. biological process! The grant preparation is calling at this time....

What do you folk think??

- Leszek

db=PubMed&list_uids=10973091&dopt=Abstract)

Leonore Reiser, Ph.D.                   lreiser at acoma.stanford.edu
The Arabidopsis Information Resource	FAX: (650) 325-6857
Carnegie Institution of Washington	Tel: (650) 325-1521 ext. 311
Department of Plant Biology		URL: http://arabidopsis.org/
260 Panama St.
Stanford, CA 94305
Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org