DAGeditor and new ontologies

Hannick, Linda lhannick at tigr.org
Tue Mar 26 07:08:28 PST 2002

Michael,
We have internally formulated a transposable element (TE) ontology to track
transposable elements in Arabidopsis.  We also have a system for entering
temporary terms (TI) that are awaiting approval as GO: terms.  When they are
approved, we convert them to "GO:nnnnnnn".  We would like to be able to use
the DAGeditor to view these ontologies by dumping flat *.ontology files from
our database similar to process.ontology, function.ontology and
component.ontology.  Our TI: terms would then come up in DAGeditor, and we
could load our TE terms into DAGeditor for viewing and term searching.

So far, it appears that DAGeditor recognizes "GO" and "SO" prefixes on
terms.  I do not know if it recognizes the plant ontology.  Can it be made
more global, so we do not have to maintain a separate version in-house, and
so the new ontologies that come along can easily be incorporated?

Is there any downside to this idea? I actually do not know who maintains the
software... Should I direct this to someone else?

Thanks
Linda Hannick