PubMatrix

Becker, Kevin (NIH/NIA/IRP) BeckerK at grc.nia.nih.gov
Fri Dec 19 07:24:27 PST 2003

Hello GO folks,

Since GO is s structured series of keywords and terms, I thought that a new
free web based tool might be of interest to some members of this list.

This tool is called PubMatrix and can be found here:
http://pubmatrix.grc.nia.nih.gov/

It was recently published here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ui
ds=14667255&dopt=Abstract

It does automatic PubMed searches against any two lists of words... any
words.
Gene symbols, functional terms, diseases,... people who came to the lab
Christmas party.

It produces a matrix table of word co-occurrence , each result is linked to
the specific abstracts.
These tables can be used in many ways, you can analyze clusters of gene
symbols, you can build up frequency files,
you can e-mail them to collaborators, post them on web pages as an archive,
etc.

PubMatrix is really a simple tool, it is not particularly sophisticated and
doesn't produce statistical significance.
However, it is fast, systematic, and objective; and has a really short
learning curve.
You can do 1000 pubmed searches while you are stuck in traffic on the way
home.

If you are interested, give it a try. I would be interested in any feedback,
especially novel applications and uses.

KGB

-----------------------------
Kevin G. Becker Ph.D.