Disease Ontology

Chisholm, Rex (NUMS) r-chisholm at northwestern.edu
Thu Jun 12 05:08:02 PDT 2003

Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the availability of a draft human disease
ontology.  This defined vocabulary (which currently lacks definitions) is
based on ICD9 codes and retains DBXrefs to ICD9 codes.  Our goal is to
produce an ontology that organizes human diseases into a logical framework
that facilitates mining of human health records and subsequent association
with genome information.  We hope to develop this ontology in the same way
that GO has developed its ontologies, i.e. by an open process that accepts
suggestions from those interested in using the ontology.

The ontology can be downloaded at http://diseaseontology.sourceforge.net
<http://diseaseontology.sourceforge.net/>  .  The current version is
DO_06_03.txt.  We have also established an email list for discussion of the
disease ontology and hope those of you interested in this ontology will join
this email discussion list by following the link on the sourceforge site
above.  The ontology will also be available in the near future from the OBO
site at http://obo.sourceforge.net.

Please forward this announcement to anyone you believe may be interested.

Patricia Dyck and Rex Chisholm