[GO] Re: MOBY namespaces and the GO xrefs

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Jun 24 12:44:51 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 13:22, Michael Ashburner wrote:
> I wonder if the more
> stable solution would not be to set this up under a CVS on a Sourceforge site
> - which we can all then use ?

What concerns me with a CVS system is that it invites wanton change, and
I'm not sure that change is what we really want - stability and
dependability is what we want (IMO).

The MOBY namespace ontology will be in a public registry that can be
queried and extended by anyone, but once a service is actively using a
namespace, that namespace *cannot* be deletedm or edited.  A new
~equivalent namespace can be added, and if it is necessary to delete the
old namespace the person(s) running services under that namespace can be
contacted and asked to update their services until such time as the
namespace becomes "freed" for deletion.

> Note that the obo project is also concerned about namespace - see
> http://obo.sourceforge.net/namespace.shtml

Yup... I think the more people we can get to participate in this the
better.

Mark

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org