linking the function to the process

Fritz Roth froth at hms.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 26 11:37:05 PDT 2003

Re: relating GO terms to each other "Kinda like: users who bought this Go
term also bought this one", as mentioned by Evelyn Camon...

You may want to check out our paper predicting GO terms based on patterns
of other GO terms
(http://llama.med.harvard.edu/publications/King_GenRes_2003.pdf ).  We draw
the very clear analogy between our approach and the "collaborative
filtering" methods used by Amazon.com and others to make product
recommendations to customers.  For this project we built a Bayesian network
of GO terms, a DAG that includes the three GO DAGs as well as other
connections learned from current SGD and FlyBase GO annotation, including
links between terms in different GO DAG branches.

We also have a related paper in press at ISMB relating GO terms to
phenotypes (
http://www.iscb.org/ismb2003/paperAbstracts/btg1024.pdf  ).  As Arne may
know (on not, Aventis is a big company!), both of these projects were
sponsored by Aventis.

Cheers,
Fritz Roth

At 05:38 PM 6/26/2003 +0100, Evelyn Camon wrote:
>Hi,
>
>In the QuickGO browser at the EBI we have a facility that
>suggests which GO terms across all the ontologies are annotated in tandem
>to another GO term. The concurrent assignment is based on real annotations
>in the
>database.
>I think AmiGO are also going to implement such a system using all the GO
>Consortium annotations. Kinda like: users who bought this Go term also bought
>this one?
>eg. DNA binding and nucleus.
>There is no formal link between the ontologies but I agree it would be useful
>sometimes.
>
>kind regards
>Evelyn Camon
>(EBI Swiss-Prot GO Annotaion project)
>
>Arne.Muller at aventis.com wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I guess in theory biological process, molecular function and celluar
> > comartment are disjoint entities, they should be independant. In
> practive off
> > course they are not. I think I'd be a good idea to develop such a link
> > between the three catgories.
> >
> > I think at the moment you cannot link the function to the process, but
> if you
> > have a gene product you could just get the function AND the process.
> >
> >         Arne
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Given a function, how do I find out what biological processes it is
> > > associated to?  I tried GO ID or key word descriptions of
> > > this function on
> > > those web tools listed on GO website and they didn't seem to work.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Ronglin Wang
> > > Syngenta
> > >

> > > --
> > >

> > --
>

>--

Frederick P. Roth, Asst. Professor
Harvard Medical School
Dept. of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology
250 Longwood Avenue, SGMB-322, Boston, MA 02115
(617) 432-3551 phone            (617) 432-3557 FAX
froth at hms.harvard.edu           http://llama.med.harvard.edu
Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org