[GO] Re: necessary & sufficient

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Fri Feb 20 13:36:58 PST 2004

Hi Michael,

It just occurred to me that this is an instance where the use of LSID's
would be **highly** appropriate - assigning an LSID to represent each
evidence code would allow external databases to add their own evidence
code terms without fear of "collisions" with each other's use of
three-letter abbreviations.  Moreover, it would allow me, as a data
consumer, to resolve a new evidence code to it's intended meaning by
discovering the assigning authority and meta-data "automatically" rather
than having to know, a priori, *both* the data provider AND their naming
system...

CA$0.03

Mark

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 04:08, Michael Ashburner wrote:
> The GO group have discussed this at great length on many occassions
> and we are agreed that we do not, as a GO Consortium, wish to proliferate
> evidence terms.
>
> However, it is quite feasible for any one database to increase the granularity
> of their evidence codes, as indeed has been done by TAIR, for their own use.
> All that must happen then is for there to be a mapping of these terms
> to the accepted GO evidence codes, and for this mapping to occur at the
> time gene_association tables are given to the GO site.
>
> Michael

Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com>
Illuminae

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org