Draft evidence code ontology

Michael Ashburner (Genetics) ma11 at gen.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 27 15:04:39 PST 2004

Thanks for the input.

Let's recall how this started. Some databases expressed the desire to be able
to use evidence codes of higher granularity. Indeed, as mentioned, TAIR has been
doing this for some time.

It is NOT the intention that any extra codes are used by the GOC. Rather that if
different MODS do wish to use more granular terms it is (a) sensible for them
to share a common resource of terms and (b) agree the mapping of these terms to
the terms now used (e.g. in gene_association tables) by the GOC.  It is really up
to the individual modes as to (a) whether they need more granular evidence codes,
(b) whether they want to do this via a shared resource.

I offered to do this with the hope that the TAIR terms would slot in. This could
then be a shared obo ontology, to be used if and when required by different MODS.

I repeat, it is NOT the intention of enriching the present list of GOC evidence codes.
As Harold correctly recalls this was discussed at a GOC meeting and we all decided
not to alter the set we now use.

However, in the context of MODS, a richer set of evidence codes could be useful
for annotating many different classes of object.

It is too late here now for me to consider all of the suggestions with care.
I hope to get out a new version over or after the w/end.  With luck I will
be snowed in !

Michael

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org