help about total number of genes within various genomes

Tanya Berardini tberardi at acoma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Mar 12 10:20:31 PST 2004

Hi Linda,

For Arabidopsis thaliana, here are the numbers (taking both TAIR and TIGR
annotations into consideration:

Total GO annotated genes:	28,331
Total GO unannotated genes: 	 2,891

Note that the annotated genes include approximately 570 mapped genetic
loci whose sequences have not yet been determined.  Also, a gene is
considered annotated if it has at least one assignment to one aspect of
GO.  So a gene that has a molecular function assignment but no biological
process or cellular component assignment would be counted as being
annotated.  Most annotated genes (about 27,000) have assignments to all
three GO aspects.

Best wishes,

Tanya Berardini
TAIR Curator

Tanya Berardini, Ph.D.			tberardi at acoma.stanford.edu
The Arabidopsis Information Resource	FAX: (650) 325-6857
Carnegie Institution of Washington	Tel: (650) 325-1521 ext. 325
Department of Plant Biology		URL: http://arabidopsis.org/
260 Panama St.
Stanford, CA 94305
Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org