help about total number of genes within various genomes

Doug Howe doughowe at uoregon.edu
Fri Mar 19 11:40:24 PST 2004

ZFIN currently has 3128 unique named genes for the zebrafish (D.rerio),
of which 1566 have at least one GO annotation.   Current estimates
suggest that there are about  30-40,000 genes in the zebrafish genome.
A more precise estimate is probably a year or two off.

-Doug

linda mcmahan wrote:

> Hi GO friends,
>
> Could you please advise me on the best web resources where I can get
> the approximate total number of genes (GO annotated genes + GO
> unannotated genes) within the organisms of those genomes that have
> gene association files at
> ftp://ftp.geneontology.org/go/gene-associations/.   Thanks.
>
> Linda

Doug Howe, Ph.D.
ZFIN Scientific Curator
Zebrafish Information Network