[Go-database] TIGR database annotations to GO

Mike Bada mbada at cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Mar 26 06:45:58 PST 2004

Hello Anand and GO people,

Here at the University of Manchester, we're working on a project called the
Gene Ontology Annotation Tool (GOAT), which aims to guide users in the
annotation of gene products with GO terms by suggesting the GO terms that
are most likely to be relevant based on the information (other GO terms and
gene-product type) that the user has already entered for a given gene
product.  The terms suggested by the tool are mostly determined by relying
upon a large store of GO-term-to-GO-term associations that we have mined
from GOA and represented in a description-logic-based formalism.  If you're
further interested, there will be a GOAT paper appearing in the June issue
of SIGMOD Record, which will be a special issue on data engineering in the
life sciences.  Or you can check out the project's Web site at
http://goat.man.ac.uk (which right now has some outdated information but
which I'll update over the weekend).

Cheers,
Mike