DAG-Edit User's Meeting: Calling all GO Friends!

John Day-Richter john.richter at aya.yale.edu
Mon May 10 15:17:23 PDT 2004

Hello, GO Friends! The next DAG-Edit user's meeting has many slots still
available, so we're opening this meeting up to non-GO consortium members. If
you're a DAG-Edit user who is interested in learning more about DAG-Edit and
mingling with other experienced DAG-Edit users, come on down. Or, if there's
a bug you want fixed and you want to shove it in my face, come on down!
Details of the meeting below... (Sorry about the short notice. We could only
open up the meeting once we were sure we would have plenty of room).

					*		*		*		*		*

DAG-Edit Users Meeting
May 26th-28th
Joint Genome Institute
Walnut Creek, CA
88

*** What is it?
This is the second in the continuing series of DAG-Edit Users Meetings. Users
will get the opportunity to work with DAG-Edit in close proximity to other
users, and gain the deep DAG-Editing wisdom of their colleagues. John
Day-Richter, the author of DAG-Edit, will be in close proximity the entire
time, so that you can see your bug fixes and feature requests implemented
before your very eyes. Most importantly, you'll get the chance to sit right
next to the person you collaborate with every day, but never see in person,
and actually get some work done.

*** When is it?
May 26th - May 28th. The meeting will run from 10:00 am - 6:00 pm each day
(we'll probably break early on Friday).

*** Where is it?
Our meeting will be held at the Department of Energy's fabulous Joint Genome
Institute in Walnut Creek, California.<p>

*** How much does it cost?
Nothing! Daniel Rokhsar from the JGI has managed to scare up grant funding for
this meeting, so it is entirely free (from our point of view).<p>

*** How do I sign up?
Because this meeting is intended to be small (at most 40 people), registration
will simply be handled by email. If you (or members of your group) are
interested in attending, please email John Day-Richter
(john.richter at aya.yale.edu) the names of the people interested in attending
and their contact info (phone number and email address). You will be sent an
email confirming your place.

If there are more signups than we have room for, we will try to assure a
position for at least one person from each institution. One we've done that,
slots will be awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis.

*** How do I get there?

You may fly into either San Francisco International Airport or Oakland
International Airport. (Oakland Airport is slightly closer, but ticket prices
into each airport may vary widely depending on your point of origin).

>From the airport you may rent a car, take BART (www.bart.gov), take a cab, or
one of the very many airport shuttles.
http://www.flyoakland.com/shuttles.shtml - Oakland Airport Shuttles
http://www.flysfo.com/transport/services/gt_tsv_search.asp?gt_mode_id=2 - San
Francisco Airport Shuttles

*** Where should I stay?

The good people at the JGI recommend the Embassy Suites at Walnut Creek, at a
special government rate of $108/night. To reserve a room at the special rate:

 Ask for Cathy Cole at (925) 746-0515
 Mention that you would like to reserve a room at the Embassy Suites at the
special rate arranged by Laura Johnson at the JGI.

The Embassy Suites are located about 2 miles from the JGI, and 2 miles from
the Walnut Creek BART station. Anyone who doesn't want to rent a car for the
trip (or who is going to rent a car and wants to give people rides) should
John Day-Richter (john.richter at aya.yale.edu) to make arrangements.

*** What should I eat?

Breakfast and lunch will be catered at the JGI. We are on our own for dinner.

*** Is there anything else I should know, particularly regarding my laptop?

Because the JGI is a Department of Energy facility, they are understandably
very cautious when it comes to their computer security. They do not allow
non-DOE equipment to be connected to their network.

The JGI will provide us all with networked laptops, so we will have internet
access and all the comforts of home once we're there. Just don't expect to be
able to plug your own laptop in when you get there. As a consequence, MAKE
SURE that you've made any files you want to work on network accessible,
because that's the only way you'll be able to access them once we're at the
JGI.

	-John

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org