GO annotations for lists of genes

Wendy Parris wendy.parris at duke.edu
Tue May 25 08:29:56 PDT 2004

I have obtained Go annotations (and chosen broad terms, such as cell
communication, protein metabolism, nucleoside etc metabolism, transport etc)
) for a list of genes I am analyzing under Biological Function.  My goal is
to try and detect differences in annotations between subsets of genes from
this list.  Of course each gene may have multiple annotations. When
performing such an analysis is there a norm for dealing with this.  ie
Should the "differences in annotation analyses" be done using only those
genes with unique annotations, or is it appropriate to include genes with
multiple annotations.  Any input about the conventions other people use
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Wendy