GOtcha - a new GO term assosciation tool

David Martin d.m.a.martin at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Nov 18 08:29:54 PST 2004

I am pleased to finally announce the GOtcha tool to the GO community at
large. GOtcha is a tool for assigning GO terms based on sequence similarity
searches to well annotated genomes.

So why is GOtcha different to what is already out there and why should you
be using it?

- GOtcha uses a method where it combines information from many search hits,
up to and including E-values that are normally discarded. This gives much
better sensitivity than other methods.

- GOtcha provides a score for each individual term, not just the leaf term
or branch. This allows the discrimination between confident assignments that
one would find at a more general level and the more specific terms that one
would have lower confidence in.

- The scores GOtcha provides are calibrated to give a real estimate of
correctness. This is expressed as a percentage, giving a result that
non-experts are comfortable in interpreting.

- GOtcha provides graphical output that gives an overview of the confidence
in, or potential alternatives for, particular GO term assignments.

The paper describing GOtcha has just been accepted by BMC Bioinformatics (
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/5/178/abstract) and a web server is
available at  http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/Software/GOtcha/gotcha.html
for you to try.

Please do not write scripts against this server. I am currently getting the
code packaged for distribution (it is already working in several
collaborators laboratories) so if you have a desire to run large sets of
sequences through GOtcha, please email me.

I hope you find GOtcha useful. All feedback will be gratefully received.

..d

David Martin
University of Dundee

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org