terms to which a gene is not annotated

Steve Carroll stevenca at paul.rutgers.edu
Mon Sep 27 10:38:09 PDT 2004

Hello,

I am a graduate student doing a project that involves the GO, and I have
what may be a naive question:  for a given gene, there is a list of terms
to which that gene is annotated, so with some confidence we can say that
gene belongs to those classes (and their ancestors in the GO).  But can we
also say that the gene in question does NOT belong to the classes defined
by the terms to which it is not annotated?  Or is it better to treat
membership in those classes as unknowns?  Does the answer to this question
depend on the gene or the actual terms to which it is annotated?  For
example, does annotation to some term preclude the possibility of
annotation to some other term?
In case it is of any relevance, I am using the SGD database for my
application.
I am not subscribed to these lists, so please respond directly to me.
Thankyou in advance for any help.

Sincerely,

Steve Carroll
M.S. Student