filtering out eukaryote-specific terms from GO

Jane Lomax jane at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Feb 7 08:00:08 PST 2005

GO friends -

For those users of GO who would rather not view eukaryote-specific
terms (such as mitochondrial and nuclear terms), we now have available
as part of the OBO format ontology file
(http://www.geneontology.org/ontology/gene_ontology.obo) a new category
of GO terms: a prokaryotic subset used to filter out eukaryotic terms.

This is not the same as a GO slim, as it does not provide a set of high
level terms, rather it is a reduced set of terms.  This category is
intended to be used as an annotator aid, and allows an annotator to
browse and choose from a smaller set of terms, although obviously no-one
is ever restricted to using just these terms.

This category of terms will not be generated as a separate file like GO
slims, but will be part of the gene_ontology.obo file, and can be viewed
using a filter in DAG-Edit (see
http://www.godatabase.org/dev/java/dagedit/docs/index.html for
instructions). We also soon hope to provide a filter in AmiGO for viewing
the prokaryote subset terms.

Please feel to contact me for any further information,

many thanks,

Jane Lomax
GO editorial office

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org