AgBase: ChickGO is now online

Fiona McCarthy fmccarthy at cvm.msstate.edu
Tue Jul 5 14:32:38 PDT 2005

ChickGO is now online!

We are pleased to announce that we now have a website for ChickGO. The
ChickGO project is part of the larger AgBase project. AgBase is a curated,
open-source, Web-accessible resource for functional analysis of
agricultural plant and animal gene products. Our long-term goal is to
serve the needs of the agricultural research communities by facilitating
post-genome biology for agriculture researchers and for those researchers
primarily using agricultural species as biomedical models.

AgBase and ChickGO are located at:
http://www.agbase.msstate.edu/

The mission of ChickGO is to:
1. Provide and make freely available GO functional annotations for chicken
gene products.
2. Aid structural annotation of the chicken genome using proteomics
approaches.
3. Develop and support tools that support functional genomics and
modeling, including tools for analysis of GO data and proteomics. ChickGO
accepts annotations from the research community and will provide an
intermediary service for agricultural researchers who wish to learn more
about functional genomics and ontologies.

In keeping with the GO philosophy we aim to be an open access open source
database and we are open to any comments, feedback or collaborations.

We would like to thank everyone in the GO community who has helped and
supported us, especially DictyBase for providing the database schema and
for technical assistance with implementation; MGI for providing training
and continued support with manual curation issues; and GOA for allowing us
access to their tools and for their continued help, support and patience.

Regards,
Fiona McCarthy
AgBase Biocurator
Department of Basic Sciences