AgBase: ChickGO is now online

Fiona McCarthy fmccarthy at cvm.msstate.edu
Wed Jul 6 06:35:43 PDT 2005

"Michael Ashburner (Genetics)" <ma11 at gen.cam.ac.uk> on Wednesday, July 06,
2005 at 7:53 AM +0000 wrote:
>That is great. Are all your GO annotations imported from GOA ? If
>so is this just a short term solution - i.e. will you be doing
>your own de novo GO annotations in the future - or is it the long term
>plan ?

Hi Micheal,

ChickGO plans to do de novo curations. We will do manual curation of
chicken literature and submit it via GOA. Where there is no literature
available we will try to make associations by manually looking at sequence
similarities. At the moment there we have added only a few manual
curations but we will add more as we get more curators and start ramping
up.

Our strategy is to do targeted annotation of proteins rather than full
literature curation so that we can focus on 'interesting' proteins and
proteins with no annotation. I am hoping that this is the best way for a
limited number of curators to functionally annotate an evolutionarily
diverse genome! We will also be doing some wet lab work to help our
anotations along.

If you have any suggestions or comments about this approach, we would be
interested in your feedback.

Regards,
Fiona McCarthy
AgBase Biocurator