RGD ontology and annotation updates

Shimoyama, Mary shimoyama at mcw.edu
Fri Dec 8 13:19:19 PST 2006

In an effort to keep in line with the goals of the Gene Ontology
Consortium and to increase our contributions to the project, RGD has
focused its efforts in the past couple of months on improving our
overall system for handling all aspects of GO.  I am pleased to announce
that RGD now has in place:

1.	incorporation of daily updates of the Gene Ontology at RGD to
ensure our curators are using the latest version of GO at all times
2.	weekly submission of gene association files from RGD to GO to
improve the currency of RGD annotations available at GO
3.	improved curation software to increase efficiency and accuracy
of RGD GO annotations
4.	automated retrieval of annotations to obsolete terms into the
curation software for easy re-assignment to the appropriate GO term

These developments, along with our continued focus on curator training
and standardization of procedures and policies in alignment with those
of the GO consortium, illustrate our commitment to GO annotation as a
cornerstone of our curation efforts will provide the research community
with better and more comprehensive information on rat genes.

Mary Shimoyama
Program Manager
Rat Genome Database
Human and Molecular Genetics Center