OBO-Edit 1.000-beta15 now available

John Day-Richter john.richter at aya.yale.edu
Mon Feb 6 16:11:33 PST 2006

OBO-Edit 1.000-beta15 is now available from

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/geneontology

There are a few bug fixes in this release, but the major change is that the
installers have been completely overhauled.

	-John

P.S. Some Mac users have been waiting a long time for this fix, so I've
provided some details of the overhaul for anyone who is interested...

I use InstallAnywhere to generate the installers and launchers for OBO-Edit.
I've finally admitted that the MacOS application launcher that
InstallAnywhere generates is pretty much worthless.

>From now on, the MacOS version of OBO-Edit will be launched through a shell
script (the same shell script that the platform independent release uses). In
MacOS, shell scripts cannot be launched from the Finder, so I've also
included an AppleScript application that CAN launch the shell script from the
Finder. We've also done some bug fixing, so now the Uninstaller and
Uninstaller links should be created correctly on all platforms. I think MacOS
users are going to be really pleased with the speed and efficiency of the new
launcher.

There is one downside, though. InstallAnywhere doesn't like the MacOS
filesystem, so I had to do some really tricky things to package the
AppleScript application with the installer. As a result, the Applescript
launcher requires MacOS 1.3 or higher. People who use earlier version of
MacOS can still run the program, they just have to do it from the command
line.

Unix users and command-line fans will like these changes too. I've replaced
every InstallAnywhere launcher with shell scripts on *nix platforms and
MacOS. These will run faster and have access to much more memory than the
previous launchers.

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org