Semantic Similarity on Genes via Gene Ontology: Relatedness or complementarity?

Sorin Draghici sorin at wayne.edu
Fri Jul 14 13:21:38 PDT 2006

> I tried to find similarities among genes exploiting knowledge derived
> from Gene Ontology. More specifically, I tried to fing semantic
> similarity between genes based on the terms that those genes are
> annotated to. Could anyone more connoisseur on this subject tell me if
> this way gives us _highly relative_ genes or _complementary_ ones?
George,

Check out this paper,  you may find it related to what you are doing:

http://vortex.cs.wayne.edu/papers/semantic_analysis_bioinfo.pdf

Regards,

Sorin

--
Sorin Draghici, Ph.D.

Director of the Bioinformatics Core, Karmanos Cancer Institute

Associate Professor		Tel: (313) 577-5484
Dept. of Computer Science	Fax: (313) 577-6868
Wayne State University
5143 Cass Ave, Room 431 State Hall,
Detroit, MI, 48202
WWW: http://vortex.cs.wayne.edu/Sorin/ (personal)
WWW: http://vortex.cs.wayne.edu/Projects.html (lab)

Check out my recent book: Data Analysis Tools for Microarrays:
http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=C3154&parent_id=&pc=