Quantifying Specificity of GO Terms

Waclaw Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Wed Apr 18 00:59:21 PDT 2007

See [1] for an information-theoretic approach.

[1] Alterovitz, G., Xiang, M., Mohan, M., and Ramoni, M.F. (2007)
.Gopad:the Gene Ontology Partition Database. Nucleic Acids Res, 35
(Database issue), D322?D327.

vQ

Fritz Roth wrote:
> My favorite measure of GO term specificity (or 'vagueness' if you
> prefer) is the fraction of genes currently annotated with that term.
>
> Fritz Roth
>
> At 03:35 PM 4/17/2007, Tobias Sayre wrote:
>> Dear GO Friends,
>>
>> I am working on a project that involves curation of protein data that
>> includes GO terms, and it would be very helpful if I had some
>> numerical quantification of the specificity of each term.  It is
>> possible to manually examine each term to determine this specificity,
>> but because there is a large amount of data, I would like to automate
>> the process.  I understand that there is no reliable way to do this
>> simply using the level in the DAG hierarchy, but I am wondering if any
>> of you might have a work-around.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tobias Sayre

> Frederick P. 'Fritz' Roth, Asst. Professor,
> Harvard Medical School / BCMP Dept.
> 250 Longwood Avenue, SGMB-322, Boston, MA 02115
> phone:(617) 432-3551   mailto:fritz_roth at hms.harvard.edu
> fax:  (617) 432-3557   http://llama.med.harvard.edu

Wacek Kusnierczyk

Department of Information and Computer Science (IDI)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Sem Saelandsv. 7-9
7027 Trondheim
Norway

tel.   0047 73591875